You must meet the following requirements to become a licensed sponsor:
- Complete the appropriate online sponsor application;
- Pay the correct fee;
- Provide proof that you are based in the UK
- Be able to provide original or certified copies of the documents listed in Appendix A, unless we say otherwise, to establish that you are genuine and operating or trading lawfully in the UK;
- Meet the suitability criteria;
- Show there are no reasons for us to believe that you represent a threat to immigration control; and
- Agree to comply with the duties of sponsorship.
- If asked, be able to provide evidence of holding the appropriate planning permission or Local Planning Authority consent to operate your type/class of business at your trading address (where this is a Local Authority requirement);
Where you are a food business, if asked, be able to provide evidence of registration with or approval from a relevant food authority.
How the Home Office assesses the HR and systems and compliance:
We give a score of 1, 2 or 3 for:
- Human resource systems – for example whether you have systems in place that enable you to know when a migrant has not turned up for work, or to identify when their current grant of leave is coming to an end;
- Convictions and civil penalties – whether or not you or a relevant person have an unspent criminal conviction or have become liable for a civil penalty; and
- Migrant compliance – for example whether you are employing any migrants (sponsored or not) who are in breach of their leave, an example might be a migrant with leave as a Tier 4 student working more hours than they are allowed to.
If you are a Tier 4 sponsor, you will receive an overall score of ‘met’ or ‘not met’ based on any assessment we make.
We assess 5 individual areas of your HR systems, which are:
- Area 1: Monitoring immigration status and preventing illegal employment
- Area 2: Maintaining migrant contact details
- Area 3: Record keeping and recruitment practices
- Area 4: Migrant tracking and monitoring
- Area 5: General sponsor duties
You must mostly achieve a rating of ‘met’ in each of the 5 areas to get the top rating for your HR systems overall.
We also assess your past compliance with immigration law while employing migrants.
We at Whizzpermits are happy to assist you with your sponsorship license application and HR Systems.